Family Visit





Mama and my siblings arrived here yesterday for a one week visit as my sister wanted to celebrate her birthday (Aug. 10) in Singapore. They love to see my kids (not me perhaps...hahaha). Papa cannot make it since he will be flying to Saudi Arabia to oversee a project there for about 4 months. You just cannot stop Papa from working. I miss him.

Family occasions like this are very rare for us now. Before my family moved here to Singapore, we would usually have a family get together for about twice a month. Mama and Papa always wanted to see my children and play with them. Of course, it was also the time for me and my siblings to catch up with one another and with Mama and Papa. It was an occasion I really enjoyed much and which I badly miss now in Singapore.

Mama and Papa are in their mid-60's and they are not as healthy as they used to be. My mom had a stroke 7 years ago and half of her body was paralyzed. Though this was unfortunate, I could say that it was an answered prayer that she survived that stroke. My Uncle(her youngest brother) died in his first stroke. I recall that day when I received a call from my sister telling me that they were in the ambulance with my mom who just had a stroke. I immediately excused myself from an office meeting then and rushed to Manila to check on my mom. My wife accompanied me and we recited the Rosary on our way to the hospital. I begged God to give my mom some more years to live so that she could still enjoy the company of her grandson (Luigi), who was barely 2-months old then. She survived that stroke and now enjoys playing with her four grandchildren now. Sometimes I feel guilty that I decided to move here to Singapore because my parents are now far from their grandchildren(and from me of course…hahaha). But that's life. I just hope that she can fully enjoy her week stay here in Singapore with us now.

I do pray that God continue to keep Mama and Papa healthy. They are in the sunset of their lives and I am trying my best to be more expressive of my love for them in my own simple ways. Mama and I attended together the 10:30 Mass today. During the offering of the sign of peace, I hugged and kissed Mama. It was something that I rarely do in years. It just felt so natural. I wish I did it more often then (That will be for another blog). After the Mass, I treated Mama and my siblings to a lunch buffet and we really had quality time. We all enjoyed the food and each other's company. I felt my Mama was very delighted with the food (and of course with me! Hahaha).

Lord, please let Mama and Papa enjoy more the life that they truly deserve.

5 comments:

bradz said...

That will always be the price we have to pay bro for going to a foreign country. I can remember back in 2003 when my paternal grandmother died and then my dad couldn't come. At that time, he had just enough money to go here in New Zealand from Saudi. At that time, we are preparing to migrate here. To go back to the Phils. and then purchase another plane ticket to New Zealand would have placed us in bigger debt. I don't know if my dad regretted the decision he made but everytime he hears someone speak about their mother he becomes really sad and downhearted. My dad works as nurse in the medical ward at the hospital and as such there are lot of elderly patients in there. He has said na it's really sad because he was not the one to care for his mother during the last days of her life while here he is the one caring for elderly people who he doesn't even know. Because of that, my dad gives the elderly patients at the hospital extra care, comfort and he goes the extra mile for them.

I just hope bro that you won't experience the same thing my dad did. God bless!

SoulSearcher said...

You hit it right on the nail, bradz. I hope I can maximize whatever time and opportunity I have for Mama and Papa. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on my blogs. It inspires me to write more my thoughts.

PS: Hope you can have your own blogsite here at blogspot.com. I wil be interested to read your thoughts as well.

grace_anne13 said...

hi bro. allan, same pala ng birthday ang sis mo at bunso namin, aug, 10. finally i got the chance to read your thoughs here sa blog mo, kep on writing bro. congratulations by the way for your song. heard it alread at i recorded it in my cel, he3x, its a beautiful song bro.

Aim Santos said...

Hi Bro,

Family stories always strike a warm note in our hearts. :)

Keep it up, bro.
God bless your family

rowin

Pearalta said...

Hello,

It seems to me that you're a good person - keep it up! I hope that your children grow up to be like you...
Good luck and may God bless you!
Thanks for sharing,
Esperança