Sunday Jogging


For the past several weeks, my wife and I jog every Sunday afternoon. It is a common knowledge that activities such as jogging enables the body to generate endorphins which helps improve our mood. Isn't it just great to be filled with endorphins together with your partner? With a tranquil ambiance of nature park coupled with our lighter moods, it is much more conducive to connect with each other. It's now becoming a weekly ritual . I personally look forward to it.

We are almost into our 7th year of marriage and I can say that such activity is important in enhancing our bonding. It is in this time of our relationship that romance does not easily come as it usually did. And we must find ways and means to deepen our friendship . If we want our relationship to bring us deeper happiness, greater efforts are expected from us. My wife has been the best wife she could ever be. She's not perfect but she's certainly the best that God can give me. I am an imperfect husband with all the potential to be the worst husband in the world. But my wife's love for me has made me feel that I am worthy of love. Despite all the trials that happened in our relationship my wife stood by me. How can someone like me not love her even more if she loves her husband that much?

When I was much younger, I was a hopeless romantic(HR). And I think to some extent, I took pride in being one. I used to believe that a hopeless romantic is more heroic in expressing his love to the lady of his dreams than most of the other men. An HR can write poems and songs to the lady he loves; he can be sweet and thoughtful to the girl's delight; and he knows no boundaries in expressing his heartfelt love. Indeed, these all seems to be "heroic" acts of a love. And to some extent, they can be pure expressions of one's love. However, that can also be tricky because a hopeless romantic--a young HR--is usually filled with strong emotions such that these heroic acts of love may not be will-driven. Yeah, I raise my hand as someone guilty of this.

I am still learning to appreciate that love, more than any romantic feelings, is an act of the will for someone we genuinely love. (Oh no, I am not preaching here.) Imagine, it is only in the 7th year of our marriage that I am beginning to have a deeper appreciation of this truth? And I ask myself, what was I thinking all those years? What have I really done?

Honey, I hope that every time I tell you "I Love You", I can back it up with more concrete and heroic acts of love.




4 comments:

earthprincess said...

Wow!! Looks like you're gonna pass the seven-year itch Kuya! Keep it up ;)

The secret behind a successful marriage is in the deep friendship between two people. That's what I learned from you. :)

Kakay said...

hon, touched naman ako. i know you are doing your share and effort sa ating relationship. for me, you are the best husband in the world! my treasure. my answered prayer.

frizzyeatworld said...

Hey, Kuya Allan! Angelo told me you had a blog and suggested I check it out.

I must admit, this post brought tears to my eyes. It was so honest and insightful -- I wish all husbands think like you.

May God continue to bless your marriage and your family...


Fritz

SoulSearcher said...

Hey Fritz! I'm so glad you dropped by. Appreciate it. Ma-drama ba ang Kuya? hehehe